Thursday, October 10, 2013

Painting 2 Post 1

Finally formalized (-ish) ideas for the painting collection:

- Dawson Dawg (akin to Mickey Mouse via alliteration) by Will Essex (a relic from when I thought Will Eisner used to work for disney, but a fun reference to My Son, My Son! that I find nonetheless fitting.)

Trademark Topics to Discuss:
- Gender Roles
- Dawson's anarchistic meddling as a metaphor for American pre-WWII sentiment
- Pre-WWII economic views

- Cashews (same character count as Peanuts) by Sparkz (Schulz's working name was "Sparky") What does it mean to turn the author into a female of color? My point is one of the universal struggle of the creative mind, but there is only one character of color in Schulz's strip. What does that say about society, and how can I avoid saying it?

Trademark Topics to Discuss:
- Depression as a hallmark of normality
- The group's antagonistic relationship to the individual seeking acceptance

- Avery and Those Crazy Birds (non-referential) by Avery Waan (Avery taken from Tex Avery, known for trademark breaking the fourth wall, and the name overall phonetically sounds like "Everyone.") Hopefully by changing the title from "Crows" to "Birds" I have yet again escaped questions of racial subtext. Hopefully.

Topics to Discuss:
- The artist's work as a cry for help, literally
- The antagonistic relationship between the artist and their creations

Material considerations: In the wake of my first Cashews attempt, I'm now considering coating the canvas in a thin layer of off-white acrylic to mock newsprint. Hopefully the india ink will still take on top of that.

No comments:

Post a Comment