Saturday, March 23, 2013

The Following Week

Inspiration: All images by Yuko Shimizu



Work: Finished "Oh, great. You again."



Reading: Expressing an Artistic Attitude

I've been thinking a lot lately about my cartoons and what they say.
After showing my grandmother the above "Oh, great. You again." image, all I got was "That's so cute!"

What.

It's said that comedians are the saddest people of all. I often describe myself as angry or sad, and I like to think that I use humor to explore those ideas, but I often wonder what exactly comes across.

Early in this class I referred to my work as "stupid" which Laura mentioned was noteworthy. Maybe it is.

I think attitude can be divided into:
My personal attitude (my temperment)
My work's attitide (its tone)
My attitude towards my work (my opinion)
What comes across?


Maurice Sendak, creator of Where the Wild Things Are, amongst other things, is quoted as saying "I refuse to cater to the bullshit of innocence." He was a really angry gay man with a lot of issues with childhood and society at large, and yet, he illustrated A Hole is to Dig by Ruth Krauss.

I sometimes wonder if we aren't just sort of destined to do a certain kind of work, no matter how far a cry it is from our actual disposition. I like to think that I get pretty close with my drawings, but who knows.

No comments:

Post a Comment