Saturday, February 23, 2013

Week Seven

Inspiration


from Captain Long Ears by Diana Thung


from The Gigantic Robot by Tom Gauld


from Billy Hazelnuts by Tony Millionaire

Work


My own logo!!!!!

Reading Response: Intro to "Scoping an Audience"

The beginning of the reading compares art to a charged battery, being complete within itself but only half fulfilled until received by (or I suppose in the battery metaphor, inserted into) the viewer. I take a bit of issue with this notion, because I think one of the conventions of the 20th/21st century art world is the idea of just doing it for yourself, in a sort of therapy. Given, yes, most people who want to be a full time artist need to focus on selling their work, and those who want credentials amongst their peers or bring about awareness or change need to think about genres and topics, but that's just not everyone.

Art should be done foremost for yourself, that's the only way it will be genuine. That's why Thomas Kinkade works, because yes he's a marketing genius, but his work represents his personal world-view. He was probably doing those paintings before he was famous and will probably keep going after he sells his last cheesy porcelain plate collection.

The final paragraph starts off with the decisions one has to make as an artist, "whom to affect, how to affect, and where this affecting transpires... "

For me this was both a long and short process. I always knew I wanted to do cartoons, I just didn't always know it. Part of me just kept saying it wasn't a "real" option. That I needed to learn how to do "real" (fine) art. And yet, my skills were always better applied when I was trying to make my peers laugh than compete with them with paintings or sculptures. I think a big part of sourcing your audience and knowing yourself is knowing how to leverage the dichotomy between what you want to do and what you can do.

There is always an audience, as the reading notes, in this globalized community in which we all create. The question is, can you look inside yourself and accept that your skills are not necessarily what you intellectually want to be able to say they are? I think the speed with which you accept your role and improve THOSE skills, the faster you'll realize your audience was always there, begging you for more crappy cartoons about sad little animals.

No comments:

Post a Comment